Camping Must Haves
One of the most important things is to make sure you are properly prepared for the trip. There are a few items that are essential to bring whenever camping is concerned. Below you will find a list of things that we consider as absolutely necessary – our camping must-have gear. However, use your discretion, some are more necessary than others.
We, at TravelingUSA.com advise you take serious precautions to make sure you have everything you need and that all your equipment and gear works well and will withstand nature’s curveballs.
Camping Basics – Must-Have Camping ITEMS
Our camping must-have accessory list is as follows:
- Water and a way to purify it
- Extra food!!! (you get surprisingly hungry after hiking and swimming all day)
- Rain gear and extra clothing
- Firestarter and matches (waterproof matches are invaluable)
- First aid kit
- Army knife or multi-purpose tool
- Flashlight (plus extra bulbs, and batteries, for that matter)
- Sunscreen and Sunglasses
- Tent (make sure it is durable enough and has all its pieces)
- Sleeping Bag (needs to be warm enough, pillows are great after a hard day too)
- Know where you are going and for how long (obviously this affects all other preparations)
Other Important Items:
- Hat (to keep you warm at night, shading from the sun- sunscreen is not always enough)
- Axe (in case there is little or no wood. Although you must be careful that you only cut wood in an approved area.)
- Rope (good for a clothesline and to hang trash and food on trees)
- Cooler (or other completely sealable containers for food)
- Bungee Cord (lock cooler, hanging lantern)
- Portable Shower and/or Toilet (necessary for trips of a week or longer in rough conditions)
- Camera (disposable ideal, useful to have beauty to remember when you have to come back to the real world)
The first thing you do when you get to your campsite is make sure the area is clear and take out any trash that someone may have left there (trash on ground = animals in the campsite).
Set up your tent so you can put your things away; and after that, make sure you have enough firewood to last the night. The rest of what you do is up to you; enjoy yourself.
Know where to find help, should you need it. Help is a lot more obvious when you are camping at a commercial campground, but when you really rough it, it is important to know where the closest form of civilization is (or a park/forest ranger, or simply 911). They are a wonderful commodity and are very helpful if any problems arise.
Camping Must Haves – Conclusion
Have fun out there. One of the most beautiful things about camping is that it is, primarily, going back to basics, so enjoy yourself.
Relax! With the basics, and our list of must-have camping accessories you will be fine. Just get out there and figure out why camping is one of the top forms of recreation. Camping can be the fun and active adventure, or the calming getaway you desire.
As a bonus, see what Andy Torbet thinks of camping must-haves: